You'll be glad to hear that theft of children's bikes is fairly low in the UK.
Well, bikes usually only get stolen when left locked up insecurely in isolated places. Children don't usually do this with their bikes, which means that they're not as vulnerable as, for example, an adult who might lock their bike up quickly (and insecurely) in an alleyway while they nip into a cafe for a coffee.
- First, report this to the police and obtain a Crime Reference Number
- You can then continue to pay for your bike until all payments have been made, or we can set up a new payment plan for you
- If you wish, we can then provide you with a replacement bike
With our Bike Club Plus insurance, you can instead pay the RRP of the bike, either in monthly instalments or in one payment.
If the loss is a result of burglary, you will likely be able to make a claim against your home insurance. You would have to arrange this yourself with your insurer.
- Get a good bike lock
- Lock your bike to something secure (even if only for a few minutes)
- Avoid parking your bike in isolated areas - leave your bike where a potential thief will be seen
- Lock up removable parts (e.g. wheels) and take additional fittings with you (lights, bags etc.)
- Take a clear colour photograph of your bike, and make a written record of its description, including any unique features, so that if it's stolen you can help the police find it
- At home, keep your bike in a secure garage, shed or building and keep the door locked
Register your bike
For members of The Bike Club who are worried about their bike being stolen, we recommend registering with bike register. If you register your bike, you are required to register ownership to the Bike Club and/or transfer upon exchange or return of the bike. Although it is worth noting that this only somewhat deters thieves, and that other precautions should still be taken to keep the bike secure.
If you are planning on returning or exchanging your bike, we ask that you do not permanently mark the bike so that it can be easily recycled.